Sunday, January 20, 2008

From algonquinblog.wordpress.com/

Thoughts for the upcoming season.

29 01 2008

I’ve noticed lately that the interior of Algonquin Park has become the “in” place for the city slickers. While I have nothing wrong with people exploring and enjoying the park, I do have a problem with people destroying the parks natural beauty. What I mean is that I’m sick of people throwing their garbage on the portages, people bringing cans and bottles into the interior and leaving them there for others to clean up, people driving everywhere within a campsite when you can bike or walk. The threat on Algonquin is all too real and we need to protect it. We as the campers are as much responsible as the park staff and conservation officers. There are simple things that we all can do to keep the park beautiful.

  1. Keep your campsite clean and make sure it’s clean before you leave.
  2. Only bring stuff that is completely bio-degradable and good for the environment.
  3. Foil does not burn…..bring it out with you in some places it’s recyclable
  4. Freeze dried foods might not taste the best but there is less waste with them and its quick to prepare.
  5. Stay on the marked portage. Don’t go off course to get around someone. We’ll all get there in our own time.
  6. Can’s and bottles are not allowed in the interior so DON’T BRING THEM! There are tetra packs available now for wines. Pour your wine/beer into a plastic container.
  7. If you bring food like steak or another kind of meat please make sure that your grill and cooking area is clean. The bears do not need people food…it really isn’t good for them.
  8. Speaking of wildlife…..leave it alone. If you see an abandoned beaver lodge, dam or even turtles on a log leave them be. You can ruin an animals natural habitat.
  9. Use your common sense. If you think it might hurt something then don’t do it. DON’T CUT DOWN TREES FOR FIREWOOD. USE WOOD ON THE FOREST FLOOR THAT IS DEAD!!!!

As you go on your way today remember that Algonquin Park has almost been destroyed before by wildfires and logging…..let’s not let it be destroyed by us! I love that park and I want my children to love it too!

~Enjoy your Trip!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have visited this site on many an occasion now but this post is the 1st one that I have ever commented on.

Congratulations on such a fine article and site I have found it very helpful and informative - I only wish that there were more out there like this one.

I never leave empty handed, sometimes I may even be a little disappointed that I may not agree with a post or reply that has been made. But hey! that is life and if every one agreed on the same thing what a boring old world we would live in.

Keep up the good work and cheers.

Guital2Man said...

Thank you for good information~~*

Please comeback to visit my blog too : http://about-plasticcontainers.blogspot.com/

I’m sorry , If you think this is spam. but may i thank you again.

Bye